Setting Up My Own Coffee Shop & Tea Room (JUST 4 PLACES LEFT)
Bakewell in the Peak District is the ideal place to come to learn about the tea and coffee shop business. With over 28 tea and coffee shops in the town it is the hub of the thriving Peak District hospitality sector. With our hand picked expert tutors and business owners you will be taken through all the steps to buying or setting up your own teashop or coffee shop. Sarah Best has a wealth of knowledge having being a manager at Sainsburys she decided to forfill a lifetime ambition of buying a coffee shop. Sarah and her mum took the plunge to buy Pumpkins in Melbourne and have over the last 4 years transformed it into a vibrant, modern food focused coffee shop in the heart of it's local community. Sarah will share with you her experiences and expertise of creating your own winning coffee or teashop now called Jacks of Melbourne. Sarah will take you through all the following essential business considerations:
• Is it the right business for me?
• Should I buy an existing business, franchise or set up from scratch?
• How to find an existing business
• What to pay for an existing tea or coffee shop (and the pitfalls)
• Doing the deal - tips
• Finding premises for setting up a business - things to look for and avoid
• Negotiating a lease or purchase
• Designing a coffee shop layout and fitting it out
• Budgeting for a start up business (how much will I need?)
• Regulations - planning, building control, environmental health, H & S
• Staffing - the practicalities & legislation
• The figures - turnover, salary, costs & profit
• Pricing and sourcing supplies
• Food - the range including hot food vs cakes
• Coffee machines - types & costs
• Should I buy or rent a machine?
• Style - modern vs vintage
• Branding & marketing - websites, social media & advertising
• Adding in attractions - chocolate, art, museum
If time allows we will have an additional teashop or coffee shop owner talking through their experience of taking over a business or setting up their own business from scratch. We may also do a site visit to a number of different coffee shops in central Bakewell to discuss their individual merits and look at their location, theme, unique offer etc.
On the day we will talk you through the essential side of designing and laying out your own teashop of coffeeshop. Never underestimate the issues for staffing and costs that will present themselves if the coffee shop has not been designed and laid out correctly.
In addition we will have an expert coffee merchant 200 degrees of coffee from Nottingham to talk you through the range of coffees and teas and the importance of the blends as well as offering advice on the coffee machines to buy and rent and what you should consider before selecting a machine or signing a contract or alternatively, Sarah will take you though all the options that were available to her and advise why she made the choices she did.
This course is an essential practical introduction to owning your own tea shop or coffee shop business & will give you an invaluable head start in the whole business process. We also run a number of courses that could potentially add value to your coffee shop or tea room experience.
Course times: 10.00 - 4.30
This course includes refreshments and an informal light lunch at Rileys
Course notes are included.